On 3 November 2016, I nearly died – a long story that there isn’t room for here! Guildford ICU played a huge part in saving my life on that day. Another hospital helped later and I spent five weeks in hospital, but without the immediate intervention of staff at Guildford they wouldn’t have been needed. It’s a scary fact to write down, but true. So how can I say “thank you” to them? (I’ll say thank you to St Thomas’ later!).
Well, combining a recovery plan to build up my stamina with a fund-raising event for the ICU Trust Fund at the Royal Surrey County Hospital seems a good idea. So on Easter Day, 16 April, I am leading a charity walk from Grayshott to the Royal Surrey County Hospital – about 16 miles in total – then taking in a terrific choral service for Easter at Guildford Cathedral* before adjourning to the Stag on the River at Eashing for an evening meal.
The plan is to leave cars at various points so if people want to join in for part of the walk they can. I’d love to have lots of people to help along the way!
You can join for either some or all of it as we will do the journey in stages:
- Hindhead – Thursley – Eashing Compton (Stag On The River) – 0900 – 1240 – refreshments and loo stop!
- Eashing – Compton (Watts Gallery) 1310 – 1455 stop for Tea Room and loos)
- Compton (Watts Gallery) – Guildford RSCH 1525 – 1700 – then 1715 depart for Guildford Cathedral, service at 1800*
There will be refreshments paid for on the walk and a souvenir t-shirt so we are asking for a £20 donation if you join the walk – and please get all your friends and contacts to chip in by donating as well! Sally and I have walked all the bits in 2-hour stages so far – and it is a fairly easy walk through some gorgeous countryside.
How to give?
- log on to http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/ChrisGrocock and follow the instructions (this is the method suggested by the RSCH)
- e-mail me at email@example.com and I will send you a form so you can gift-aid your donation and send it to back to me – at Timberua Glen Road Grayshott GU26 6NB – or send me a cheque made out to RSCH – ICU
WE HAVE SET OURSELVES A TARGET OF £10,000 – HELP US GET THERE!
*you don’t have to be religious – just come and enjoy one of the best choirs in the country and leave a tenner in the plate!